Antibiotic Therapy in Dentistry
This course aims to review the participants on the basic principles of antibiotic therapy. The importance of knowing the microbial pathogens that are associated with odontogenic infections in choosing the appropriate antibiotic agent for a patient will be discussed. The participant will be reviewed on the different antibiotic agents available and the proper administration and indication of each. The current principles in the prophylactic use of antibiotics will also be discussed.
At the end of the course, the participant is expected to:
1. Be able to identify the microbial pathogens that are associated with odontogenic infections
2. Be able to enumerate the available antibiotic in the local market
3. Know the indications and contraindications of each antibiotic agent
4. Know the proper dosage, administration and duration of treatment for each antibiotic agent
5. Know the current recommendations of the AHA for prophylaxis of bacterial endocarditis